Hi-yo!

17 January 2012

Bechdel Test, pt. 6 (I think I'm done)

I think I've got this down pat.

To reiterate, my project is on the Bechdel test. Of course, it's in no way an indication of the quality or feminist subtext of the work; it simply shows that, in the fact that a surprisingly large amount of mainstream works fail the test, that the exclusion of works that do pass the test is deliberate on the part of the powers that control mainstream media, which is still a largely male-controlled and -dominated industry.

My project is in no way meant to disparage men, or even women. It's not meant to be a malicious attack on any agenda. My intention is to simply show - both to myself, a female brought up on and a fan of many mainstream works that don't pass the test - and to others - that interesting female characters in interesting environments are possible without having to resort to putting them under a masculine ideal or resigned to stereo-typically 'female-oriented'  territory.

A positive reinforcement, one might say.

Hopefully the text added helps to give more context and depth to the illustrations. I really struggled to come up with what I thought would be appropriate.






No comments:

Post a Comment