Hi-yo!

24 October 2010

Hidden Histories.


I've decided to do our 'Hidden Histories' project on my grandmother's migration from China to Thailand. The above photo was taken when she just arrived by boat; apparently, as soon as she arrived, like all other immigrants she was shoved in front of a camera to record her arrival.

I find it quite amusing how she looks so unsuspecting, but I think as an 8-year-old stepping into a new land and not really knowing the language, it must have been very scary for her as well.

Her past is something I wish she'd discuss more to me, since I find it quite fascinating. It makes her seem more vulnerable and gives her more depth than the reverential grandmother figure she always seems to portray to me. Even to learn just a little bit about her past greatly elates me.

Her story, of how her family in China were so poor they had to boil rocks in salt to season their rice, of a long boat journey to Thailand (on which she proceeded to be seasick for several days) and of her dreams for a better life evokes such vivid imagery - I dream of an exotic, beautiful yet hard Orient, full of hardship and struggle, yet also of hope, of dreams, and opportunities...resulting in the grandmother I know and love today.

I did a few practice drawings; my grandmother is the cute-as-a-button girl in blue. I really want to do an animation, but I don't think I'll have the time; thus, a comic would probably be just as good.


You know, for some reason I don't understand the image has the thumbnail but no link to the actual picture. Because my internet is being slightly dodgy, I am too lazy to correct this. Ta-ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment