Hi-yo!

31 October 2010

Ah-Mah's Journey


Well, that took three days. Three whole days (although Saturday hardly counted, as I spent most of that time eating cake and YouTubing.). Although I went to Polina's party on Friday so that wasn't too bad. Nevertheless. I have had enough leg-ache from this project to last me a while.

I'm kind of posting this up now, because I'm still floundering on how to present this tomorrow. Should I print it out? Lugging my laptop to school to show this totally isn't worth it. But trying to fit all that into a bunch of A4 pages will be annoying time-consuming. Grrr.

Anyway, rant over, and on to the actual story:

For the strangest reason, when Ah-Mah first told me the story of her trek from southern China to Bangkok as a child, I always imagined her to be this hardy, resilient little thing, determined at all costs to reach the other side. Even if it meant literally swimming across the gulf all the way there. Obviously, I was a child with an overactive imagination and little concept of time management.

Of course, as I grew up, I eventually realised how ludicrous the whole thing really was, but that didn't stop me from wondering how cool (not for her, of course) it would have been if it were actually true. Us Chutaprutikorns are made of strong stuff! Ho-ho!

Thus, part-truth-part-child's-fantasy: the journey of my dear grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment